Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas Candies Part Three: Peppermint Oreo White Chocolate Truffles

Friends,

I stumbled upon a recipe that called for Oreos and cream cheese. I decided to put my own twist on it and add peppermint to it! (I had some leftover from my peppermint bark).

I didn't follow the recipe AT ALL. I just threw in some cream cheese and Oreos and went to town on it. Big mistake.

To begin with, I used two reams of Oreos and two packages of cream cheese. I ended up using a third ream of Oreo's (although it could have used a fourth for texture!) and still had a sticky paste of a mixture. It looked more like icing than anything. Here's proof!


I added another package of blended Oreos. I attempted to add a bit of powdered sugar to it to thicken it up. No luck. On the bright side, it tasted like Thin Mints!

I ended up chilling the "icing" in the freezer for about an hour. I pulled it out and rolled it into small balls and froze them again. It was quite messy!

I pulled the balls out (I froze them overnight but they were still very mushy, but still worked!) and rolled them around in some white chocolate almond bark.

I popped them in the freezer again and they are DIVINE! My husband and father in law keep sneaking some!

The white chocolate was an afterthought, but it was the only way the balls would be even CLOSE to edible at room temperature.

Here's the "recipe" if you want to try them out!


Peppermint Oreo White Chocolate Truffles

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese (room temperature)
2 reams (about 30 cookies) of Oreos
1/2 cup Peppermint (candy canes) blended into a powder (optional)
1/2 cup powdered sugar (added for texture and thickness, also optional)
White chocolate almond bark

1. In a blender, crush and mix cookies into a powder.
2. In a bowl, mix Oreo powder with peppermint powder and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar if necessary.
3. Chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Roll into small balls.
5. Chill for 1 hour.
6. Melt white chocolate almond bark gradually in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds.
7. With two spoons, roll truffles around in white chocolate.
8. Lay on wax paper and chill.



No comments:

Post a Comment